Thursday, March 12, 2015

Boy 21
-Summary:
 Finely lived in a town that is run by an Irish mob, he loves basketball as much as he loves his girlfriend Erin they both play basketball, where they both try to forget their problems. In school Finely is known as white rabbit because he’s the only white guy in the basketball team. Finely is also a quiet guy, due to his mother was murder. One say his Coach ask him to help with a new student, his name was Russ but just as Finely they both have something in common Russ parents were murder. But Russ when a little crazy at first and start it calling hi self-boy 21, but just like Finely he has the passion for basketball and loves the game, people though he was like an NBA player, but Finely was not so sure at first but he still agree to help Russ, through the week Russ and Finely become friends and after months of helping Russ, everything starts to pay off, due to Russ playing basketball ones again  but with tis Finely got a little jealous because he thought that Russ was there to take his spot but he wasn’t said Russ. Later on Finely had gotten a call saying Erin was in a car accident, he ran to go see her to the hospital but Erin want it him to leave but Finely being stubborn did not want to leave so she kick him out either way. He came by the hospital the next day and found Erin mom, she had gave him a letter that Erin had wrote to Finely, the later said how he should not be here he should leave and how she will still love him. Months after the accident he can’t seem to find Erin in their small little town, so he decided to go after her but no one would tell him where she is. By the time he was about to graduate his pops and dad told him that he has a chance to leave at first  he doesn’t want to go but he reads Erin latter ones again, but knowing if he leaves he will not see his pops and dad no more he won’t be able to come back. Due to the mob, but thinking over it he has decided he should go he only said his good byes to 3 people his friend Russ, his pops and father. His father is happy for him and gives him money and takes him to the train station so he can live a better life with his girlfriend.
-Author:  Matthew Quick
-Publisher:  Little, Brown (6/18/2013)
-Edition/Format: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=boy+21+matthew+quick&qt=results_page
-Database: WorldCat
-My impression of the book:
I like this book because it give you a very dramatic explains of how their like toke place, it also keeps you on the edge of wanting to know more about the book and what will happen to the characters, is also well structure and is like a love story, it also like a second start on life.  
-Reviews:
·  Caryle Posted March 9, 2012
ANOTHER UNIVERSAL DUNK BROUGHT TO US BY MATTHEW QUICK!!!!!!!!
A gem of a book.
Matthew Quick crosses, once again, ALL barriers of age, ethnicity, gander, economics, and "society".
"Boy21" is a quantum treasure chest. Every chapter opens up yet another chest filled with gifts and gems....
Pearls of Wisdom...Jades of Awareness...Shooting Stars of Joy...
The story itself is amazing. In the grittiness of its "real" outer world, "Boy21" also gives us answers and even more questions with its open inner world.
So much is said in few words....
It leads to moments of opening ourself to our knowing and, also, to more than we know.
Matthew Quick shares the world of young-adult with the universe...
and All of us can relate to this world...
those/these times of knowing and not knowing at the same time,
of certainty and uncertainty in the same moment,
and just taking the steps we do ?????
this is....ANOTHER "Q" BOOK....FOR ALL of US to READ............
·  JD1360, Posted May 11, 2012

This book is kinda like an awesome, non-sucky version of KPax. I This book is kinda like an awesome, non-sucky version of KPax. I read this book a while back and forgot to write a review for it. Then I realized it was coming out soon (or now has) and HAD to bang out some positive press for it.I wasn't sure about this book when I first picked it up, it had a disconcerting cover and mentioned basketball. Yes, I know. I am the lamest lame in Lamesville for judging a book on those two things, but I read and loved it afterwards, so who cares now, eh? This book was SO MUCH MORE than I was expecting. It starts off with the utter intrigue of KPax-ian Boy21's history, and blends into more about the main character Finley's coming into and surviving his own less-than-perfect life. Together, they are forced to cope with their horrible pasts and deal with their futures. This book paints an incredibly gritty and realistic portrait of the world we live in. Oh, and there's the Irish mafia. Which is both cool and terrifying and should be present in more books.Now I am going to dedicate and entire paragraph to something I cannot expressly say. Why? Cause it's a giant spoiler. But there are so few times when something happens in a book and then there is THE PERFECT REACTION. One where the main character reacts exactly how you want them too, the other characters do exactly what you want them to do and it's so perfect and poetic and brilliant it's like it was divined by the gods. This book had that. Without saying anything, I was reading, said plot twist happened, then there was some much needed waiting and then... PERFECT MOMENT and I screamed `YES' like some kind of hyped up adrenaline junkie. *angels sing, trumpets sound* Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant I wouldn't call this book a "hard contemporary" exactly, but I wouldn't call it light either. It's just very honest and blunt, but marvelous. Sadly, there is no sequel (no really, I'd LOVE a sequel for this), but I will certainly be checking out more of Matthew Quick's work. And on a very final note, if NONE OF THIS has convinced you, I will use this tidbit of information. Not only does Finley and his friends read Harry Potter, but there are several references and allusions to Harry Potter. Awesom

No comments:

Post a Comment