The Boy with the Striped Pajamas
Summary:
Young boy name Bruno lives a wealthy lifestyle with his
mother, older sister and his SS Commandant father, on a prewar in Germany. The
family had to relocate home ones again, due to his father that has received a
promotion where he would take command of a prison camp. Young Bruno had no one
to play but he was a well good explorer on day he had gotten close to the
prison camp, where he finds a young boy,
Bruno didn’t know what he was doing but Bruno being a kid he want to be friends
with the young boy since Bruno was alone and had no friends, his friend name
was Shmuel a Jew with his stripe pajamas but Bruno did not care because he didn’t
really now that and he was too young to know, all he want it to do was play and
have fun. Days pass and Bruno and Shmuel become best friends one day, Bruno and
Shmuel made a plan to sneak in Bruno into the prison camp, so they can both
play together. As the fallowing morning they get all the materials they need to
dig a hold under the wire fence and Shmuel has brought Bruno the same pajamas
so they can look like. But what Bruno didn’t know is the consequences and the
danger that the other side hold and how they life would just end together being
best friends.
Author: John Boyne
Publisher: Oxford ; New York : David Fickling Books, 2006.
Edition/Format:
Print book : Fiction
: Secondary (senior high) school : English : 1st American edView
all editions and formats
Database: WorldCat
My impression of the book:
This book has a wonderful and sad tail the way the book is
writing, I also love how the begging was being told by Bruno, the book will
also keep you on the edge of the story and is highly recommend it I, just love
the story because is taking place in a WW 2 and how is giving you information
on how the pass was like The book theft.
The book is really enjoyable and the ending will be sad but it just give
you a point of view on how things happen back in the days.
Reviews:
Format: Paperback
I've read many books that fall into the "Holocaust
literature" category. This one may actually be a book that is written in a
style that COULD be read by a child but should be read by adults. Whether it is
suitable for children depends on how sensitive your child is- and how well you
think he or she could handle some very graphic details. They aren't
"graphic" in the sense of being spelled out in detail but the
reader's imagination can fill in the blanks. At age 9, this book would have
been far too intense for me - and the main character in this one, Bruno, is age
9.
The author used a technique which was brilliant, taking readers into the mind and thoughts of a child whose father work for the "Fury" (the Fuhrer) and who is sent to live in Out-With (Auschwitz), on the safe side of the fence, in an actual home.
The novel is labeled "a fable" and I think this was a wise choice by both author and publisher. After all, no one knows exactly how a 9 year old son of a German officer would think and young Bruno seems remarkably naive sometimes. But just as light sets off shadows more vividly, I think his exaggerated innocence allows readers to experience the horrors of Auschwitz that much more. For that reason, I don't think the accuracy of Bruno's character is all that important. The effect on the reader (THIS reader, anyway) is profound and deep.
After moving to Out-With (Auschitz) Bruno meets a boy "on the other side of the fence", one who is the same age, a lad named Schmuel. At first Bruno is envious of the boy who gets to wear striped pajamas all day and who seems to have lots of companions.
On Bruno's side there are few playmates and he doesn't realize that he has so much compared to Schmuel.Read more ›
The author used a technique which was brilliant, taking readers into the mind and thoughts of a child whose father work for the "Fury" (the Fuhrer) and who is sent to live in Out-With (Auschwitz), on the safe side of the fence, in an actual home.
The novel is labeled "a fable" and I think this was a wise choice by both author and publisher. After all, no one knows exactly how a 9 year old son of a German officer would think and young Bruno seems remarkably naive sometimes. But just as light sets off shadows more vividly, I think his exaggerated innocence allows readers to experience the horrors of Auschwitz that much more. For that reason, I don't think the accuracy of Bruno's character is all that important. The effect on the reader (THIS reader, anyway) is profound and deep.
After moving to Out-With (Auschitz) Bruno meets a boy "on the other side of the fence", one who is the same age, a lad named Schmuel. At first Bruno is envious of the boy who gets to wear striped pajamas all day and who seems to have lots of companions.
On Bruno's side there are few playmates and he doesn't realize that he has so much compared to Schmuel.Read more ›
By A
Reader on December 28, 2008
Format: Paperback
When I first started reading, I didn't find the simplistic
writing style appealing and thought I would be glad to finish the book so I
could move on to another more challenging. It wasn't long before I became
engrossed in viewing the situation through the eyes and voice of the 9 yr old
boy, Bruno. I did not critique what I was reading from the perspective of what
a 'real' 9 yr old living in that era should or should not have known about Nazi
Germany.
I decided to write this because I was disappointed by the comments of a couple of the other reviewers who were upset that the book did not include historical accuracy. I never thought I was purchasing a history book, and therefore did not expect to receive a history lesson. To me the message of the story is broader than the era it is set in. This is the tale of an unlikely friendship between two 9 yr old boys. That friendship is allowed to grow because of their innocence, and because they do not judge one another by their stations in life. It's a very powerful, moving fable. I loved it for exactly what it is.
I decided to write this because I was disappointed by the comments of a couple of the other reviewers who were upset that the book did not include historical accuracy. I never thought I was purchasing a history book, and therefore did not expect to receive a history lesson. To me the message of the story is broader than the era it is set in. This is the tale of an unlikely friendship between two 9 yr old boys. That friendship is allowed to grow because of their innocence, and because they do not judge one another by their stations in life. It's a very powerful, moving fable. I loved it for exactly what it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment